September 17, 2020
Apple picking in Maine
It's officially fall! Here in Maine the days are getting shorter, the leaves are changing, and the air is a little crisper. Fall is a beautiful time of year in Maine and it is so good to take advantage of the lovely weather by getting outside and enjoying some seasonal activities. One of the best is apple picking and Maine has a number of fantastic pick-your-own orchards to choose from. Picking your own apples can be a socially distant activity that you and your family can enjoy while staying safe from COVID-19. Wondering where to go apple picking? We will go over some great local spots!
- Randall Orchards (Standish, ME)- "Randall Orchards, family run since 1906! Visit our beautiful family farm, only 15 minutes from Portland off Rt. 25. We have over 20 varieties of apples! We also grow peaches, pears and a wide variety of vegetables available at our farm stand. Our cider mill produces high quality, preservative free, cider in which we only use the highest quality apples."
- Orchard Ridge Farm (Gorham, ME)- "For day-to-day status of our blueberries, apples and pears, check our Facebook page or call; you can also find out by taking a risk by visiting the farm during our regular farm market hours… the worst case would be that while we might be closed for picking that day, we would still have tasty treats and you could still visit the animals."
- Hansel's Orchard (North Yarmouth, ME)- "Hansel’s Orchard is a family run ‘Pick-Your-Own’ orchard that features McIntosh, Cortland and Macoun apple varieties. In September, the McIntosh apples are ripe for the picking. The Cortland and Macoun apples are ready in late September through October. When you arrive, you pick your basket size according to your needs. Later in the season, we offer picking poles to reach those desirable apples high in the trees. If you don’t want to pick from the tree, we have freshly picked apples so you can pick from an apple box."
- Brackett's Orchards (Limington, ME)- "Pick your own apples starts Saturday, September 12, and continues each weekend through the end of October. Ginger Gold, Macintosh, Cortland, and Honey Crisp apples, Hours are 10-5, $16 peck and $30 half-bushel; Credit cards accepted! Please call 207-730-9169 for more info. During the week picking is at our orchard located on Rte 11, weekends you can pick at our scenic hilltop orchard at 32 Staples Road."
- Doles Orchard (Limington, ME)- "Doles Orchard is a family owned and operated business specializing in a variety of Pick-Your-Own fruit! Check our Facebook page throughout the season to see what’s picking and when we’re open."
- Libby & Son U-Picks (Limerick, ME)- "'Over 40 acres of fruity family fun!' Pick-Your-Own: Blueberries July into October. Pick-Your-Own: Apples September thru October. Pick-Your-Own: Raspberries August into September. Pick-Your-Own: Peaches August into September. Freshly made apple cider donuts, blueberry donuts, pumpkin donuts, blueberry smoothies, caramel apples, kettle corn, and much more! Picnic areas & live entertainment. Always free parking and no admission charges."